Bathabile loves healthy eating and exploring different flavours – treat your family to her hearty dish
Rate My Plate has been bringing the heat, laughs and endless recipe inspiration every Tuesday night on Mzansi Magic. This week, IT specialist and foodie Bathabile Sambo impressed Chef Dede with her thyme chicken breasts served with mashed potatoes and Harvestime veggies. She went up against fellow foodies Mmatsepo Kutu and Nelisiwe Thale, but ultimately her dish ticked all the boxes. Bathabile’s winning meal scored on preparation time, presentation, affordability, originality and taste – try it for yourself!
Thyme chicken breasts with mashed potatoes
500ml (2c) Harvestime Country Mix (use the broccoli and/or the carrots too)
4-6 chicken breasts, skinned
15ml (1T) sea salt
5-10ml (1-2t) coarse pepper
30ml (2T) olive OR canola oil for frying
500ml (2c) crimini (brown) mushrooms
1 garlic clove, crushed
250ml (1c) cherry Roma tomatoes
30ml (2T) dried parsley
30ml (2T) dried thyme
200ml vegetable OR chicken stock
200g Harvestime cauliflower (optional)
15ml (1T) butter
100ml fresh milk OR pouring cream
- Steam the Harvestime vegetables in a pot with 125ml (½c) water for about 2 minutes. Drain the excess water and set aside while still crunchy.
- Season the chicken breasts generously with the salt and pepper.
- Heat 15ml (1T) oil in a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the chicken and brown for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the mushrooms, garlic and tomatoes until soft or for 5-8 minutes. Add the parsley and thyme.
- Return the chicken to the pan and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the stock and let it reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Add the Harvestime Country Mix broccoli and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until soft. Add the cauliflower, if using.
- Add the butter and cream and mash until smooth.