Impress your family with this hearty meal that celebrates the goodness of Harvestime
Culinary student Yanga Kula impressed Chef Dede and fellow contestants Fezeka Manase and Letlhogonolo Leso with her flavourful soup and chef-like techniques. The talented cook used Harvestime products and reinterpreted the ingredients to create a winning dish. Now you can give it a go.
Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv Channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm #RATEMYPLATESA.
Marbled Pea Soup with Veggie Croquettes and Pickled Beetroot
Serves 6-8 | Cooking: 40 min | Chilling: 30 min
300g Harvestime Green Peas
1 yellow onion, finely
15ml (1T) cumin powder
1 x chicken stock cube
450ml boiling water
200g baby spinach
30ml (2T) butter
pinch of salt and pepper
200g Harvestime Frozen Chips
200g Harvestime Mixed Vegetables
45ml (3T) all-purpose
15ml (1T) baking powder
2 x 170g cans tuna,
20g cream cheese
200g thick breadcrumbs
750ml (3c) vegetable oil
300g baby beetroot,
peeled and thinly
250ml (1c) white wine
250ml (1c) granulated
- Place the Harvestime Green Peas, onion and cumin in a pot. Dissolve the chicken stock cube in the boiling water. Add to the peas and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, sauté the spinach in the butter until soft.
- In a blender, pulse the peas until smooth then pour half the mixture into a bowl. Add the spinach to the rest of the mixture in the blender.
- Mix until dark green in colour to form the marble effect of the dish. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Veggie croquettes Boil the Harvestime Frozen Chips until soft and then set aside for 10 minutes. Mash the chips in a large bowl.
- Add the Harvestime Mixed Vegetables, flour, baking powder, eggs, tuna and cream cheese.
- Combine the ingredients by hand until well mixed and then form into any shape of your liking.
- Coat the croquettes in the breadcrumbs and then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Heat the oil in a deep pot then deep-fry the croquettes until golden brown.
- Pickled beetroot
- Place the beetroot in a saucepan with the wine, sugar and water. Let it simmer for on low heat, do not boil, until pinkish in colour and syrupy. Enjoy!
t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
c = cup/s