Pretty Zondo’s flavourful curry ticked all the boxes – now you can recreate it for your family
Twinning and winning! This week on Rate My Plate, Durban-born twins Pretty and Precious Zondo went head-to-head – along with fellow contestant and sangoma Mpho waBadimo – but there could be only one winner. Pretty’s dish had the magic touch and got the nod from Chef Dede, earning her R5000, a Harvestime hamper and, of course, bragging rights! Her recipe is also featuring in DRUM and Move! magazines. Here’s how she elevated Harvestime to make her tasty dish – try it for yourself.
Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv Channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm #Ratemyplatesa
Indian-inspired mutton biryani
Preparation: 1 hr | cooking: ±1 hr | marinate: 1 hr
1kg mutton cubes
30ml (2T) chilli powder
15ml (1T) coriander
15ml (1T) turmeric powder
250ml (1c) plain yoghurt
100g black lentils
20g biryani mix
2 large onions, chopped
50g garlic and ginger, crushed
100ml tomato paste
2 large potatoes
40ml egg yellow powder
500ml (2c) Tastic rice, cooked
2 eggs, boiled
200g Harvestime Peas
chillies and fresh coriander to garnish
- Wash and drain the meat. Add half the spices and the yoghurt to the meat and marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, boil the lentils with a pinch of salt until soft and in another pot, boil the rice with half the biryani mix, both for 15-20 minutes. Do not over boil.
- In a pot, heat the oil, fry the onions and add garlic and ginger. Add the remaining spices and then the meat. Cook for 30 minutes and then simmer.
- Dilute tomato paste with water and let it simmer for another hour.
- Lastly, add the Harvestime Peas and add cornflour to thicken the curry.
- Boil the eggs. Then peel wash and roast potatoes (use egg yellow powder to colour the potatoes).
- Use the egg yellow to colour the rest of the rice then add the lentils.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In an oven tray, layer the rice, mutton curry and potatoes.
- Repeat and end with a layer of rice. Cover with foil and steam in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve and garnish with fresh chillies, coriander, and the boiled eggs. Serve with sambal or carrot salad.