Impress your loved ones with this week’s winning dish – here’s the recipe for you to try
Mzansi’s new show, Rate My Plate sees three home cooks go head-to-head every Tuesday night. This week, catering manager, Leonard Williams shared his love for experimenting with flavours and showed us how he elevates Harvestime mixed vegetables to make a crowd-pleasing dish.
And because not everybody has a tagine dish, the foodie showed us you can still create the magic in a pot – with some extra love thrown in. Give it a go next time you want to switch things up in the kitchen.
Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv Channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm #Ratemyplatesa
Serves: 6-8 | Cooking: 80min
1kg sliced lamb shanks
4 medium potatoes peeled
2 medium onions finely chopped
10ml olive oil
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes
100g tomato paste
500g Harvestime mix vegetables
2 bay leaves
Zest of 1 lemon
250g Turkish apricots
Sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme
10ml Paprika spice
250ml red wine
Salt & coarse black pepper to taste
- Preheat a medium sized casserole and add half of your sugar. Once the sugar has melted and the colour is golden brown add the diced onions, chopped garlic and sauté.
- Next, add the olive oil and the meat. Braise the meat until golden brown for about 20 minutes.
- Add the red wine, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and the whole peeled tomatoes. Simmer over medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and fresh herbs and paprika.
- Lastly add the Harvestime mix vegetables, chillies and the tomato paste and Turkish Apricots.
- Season with salt and coarse black pepper to taste.
Serve with Basmati Rice.
t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
c = cup/s