Martin’s dish had the “wow” factor on this week’s episode of Rate My Plate – try it for yourself
It was a battle between male and female home cooks on this week’s Rate My Plate. Twenty-eight-year-old Martin Mhlongo, a rugby commentator and animal nutritionist, proved he’s a jack-of-all-trades and a master in the kitchen – wowing Chef Dede Wyt before he beat fellow contestants Faro Moshidi and Norah Gontse to the title and winnings.
Martin’s love for food grew from watching his mother prepare meals for his late father, and everybody on the show could feel the love in his dish. Try his hearty meal and share the smiles around your dinner table.
Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm. #RateMyPlateSA
Short Rib with Chimichurri Sauce
500ml (2c) Harvestime
250ml (1c) Harvestime Peas
2 chicken stock cubes
20 ml olive oil
3 fresh garlic cloves,
½ medium red onion,
50g unsalted butter
15ml (1T) freshly squeezed
600g exotic tomato mix
250ml (1c) parsley
zest of 1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
200g feta cheese
125ml (½c) mint, chopped
125ml (½c) Italian parsley,
125ml (½c) curly parsley,
½ medium red onion,
3 garlic cloves, chopped
20ml (4t) smoked chilli
pinch of salt
pepper to taste
Beef short rib:
6 pieces beef short rib
100ml olive oil
50ml red wine vinegar
- Couscous Place the Harvestime vegetables in bowl of 500ml (2c) hot water and thaw. Drain and set aside.
- Dissolve the stock cubes in 500ml (2c) parboiled water and set aside.
- Heat 30ml (2T) olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and Harvestime Carrots from the Mixed Vegetables Mix and sauté for 2 minutes in unsalted butter and 20ml oil.
- Add the couscous and stir to toast for about 2-3 minutes. Add 500ml (2c) stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Don’t overcook the couscous as it needs to be firm
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl to cool. This will look sticky, but it will separate once the remaining ingredients are added.
- Add the lemon juice and 15ml (2T) olive oil to the couscous. Using a fork, break up the couscous. Then add the tomatoes, red onion, parsley and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle the feta on top.
- Chimichurri sauce Place the mint, parsley, onion and garlic in a bowl. Keep the olive oil and red wine vinegar separate. In a separate bowl, make a spice rub of the chilli flakes and salt and pepper. Allow the flavours to infuse for about 30 minutes.
- Beef short rib Place the meat on a wooden board and massage the spice rub in. Make sure all sides are well coated. Then add the olive oil and red wine vinegar.
- Put a griddle pan on medium-high heat and add 50ml (2t) oil to evenly coat the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until rich golden brown and char-marked.
- Using tongs, hold every surface of the meat against the grill pan to ensure it’s evenly cooked.
- Serve the short rib sliced and placed on top of the couscous salad, generously covered in chimichurri. Serve extra chimichurri on the side, if you like.