Rosetta’s one-pot-wonder chicken and potato casserole with Harvestime Country Mix
Fashion designer and feisty home cook Rosetta Lebese proved she was the ultimate foodie this week on Rate My Plate – beating fellow contestants Amanda Linda and Sahele Gcabashe for the title, the awesome Harvestime hamper and the delicious R5 000 cash prize. Rosetta, who loves expressing herself through food, brought the nostalgia with her one-pot-wonder chicken and potato casserole with Harvestime Country Mix. It’s a quick meal with a Chef Dede Wyt’s seal of approval – see if your family will love it too.
Chicken and Potato Casserole with Harvestime Country Mix
Preparation: 10 minutes | cooking: 45 minutes
olive oil or canola oil
3 chicken thighs
3 chicken drumsticks
1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 green chillies, with
15ml (1T) parsley
6 baby potatoes,
30ml (2T) curry
5ml (1t) turmeric
5 cups chicken stock
30ml (2T) double
30ml (2T) salt seems
like a lot of salt
- In a medium-size pan, add a splash of the and a knob of the butter.
- Add the chicken and brown, skin side down first, for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. To ensure even cooking, do not overcrowd the pan. Sauté three pieces of chicken at a time. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion, garlic and chillies for 3 minutes on low heat. Add the parsley.
- Add the potatoes, curry powder and turmeric and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the stock and cook the potatoes for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Stir in Harvestime Country Mix Vegetables and cook for 2 minutes. Lastly, stir in the cream and return the chicken to the pan
- Cook for 2 minutes before transferring to the oven, cover and cook gently for 20 minutes. Uncover the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, adjust seasoning and serve with mini dumplings, pap or white fluffy rice. Enjoy!
- Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm.