Relebohile’s winning dish is packed with flavour and Harvestime veggies for added nutrients
A tasty stew is as good as a warm hug that reminds you of home – and this week’s Rate My Plate winner, Relebohile Phooka, proved her spruced-up version is all that and more. The 21-year-old student went up against fellow contestants Bongiwe Smith and Buhle Twala, but her dish ticked all the boxes for Chef Dede.
Relebohile plans to open a catering company one day and she already has a winning dish under her belt. Now you can give her tricks a go and create the dish for your family.
Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm #RateMyPlateSA
Preparation: 10 min | Cooking: 42 min
2kg stewing beef
30ml (2T) meat
500ml (2c) water
30ml (2T) cooking oil
1 onion, chopped
½ green pepper
3 garlic cloves
2 green chillies
1 packet Harvestime
3 bay leaves
15ml (1T) mixed herb
15ml (1T) mild curry
30ml (2T) Knorrox
Steak and Chops
30ml (2T) barbeque
15ml (1T) paprika
3 thyme sprigs
75ml (5T) tomato sauce
75ml (5T) mayonnaise
75ml (5T) Mrs Ball’s
3 x Knorrox cubes
- In a pot, put the beef, water and meat tenderiser and boil for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat and set aside in a big bowl. Reserve the water from the beef in another bowl.
- In the same pot, heat the oil, then add the onion, green pepper, garlic, chillies, Harvestime Mixed Veggies and bay leaves and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the mixed herbs, masala, steak and chops spice, barbeque spice and paprika and continue to fry for another 2 minutes.
- Put the beef back in the pot, stir to combine, then add the reserved water and thyme sprigs and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, mayonnaise and chutney and boil for 3 minutes.
- Lastly, add the Knorrox cubes then boil until a thick gravy forms. Serve with mashed potato.