Sitty Zungu wowed everybody with her crowd-pleasing chicken and waffles with a veggie twist
The first episode of Rate My Plate kicked off with a spicy group of ladies who brought the laughs, #lewks, hilarious kitchen banter and, most importantly, they gave Chef Dede Wyt some tasty dishes. Sitty Zungu, Jerida Tsipa and Nomfundo Blose battled it out, but ultimately 19-year-old student and self-proclaimed foodie Sitty ticked all the boxes and grabbed the title. This is her mouth-watering winning dish with a healthy, hearty Harvestime spin – go on, try it!
Watch the show on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) every Tuesday at 9.30pm.
Veggie Waffles with Fried Chicken and Fresh Mango Chutney
Preparation time: ±30 minutes | Cooking: ±30 minutes
750ml-1L sunflower oil for frying
500ml (2c) flour
30ml (2T) barbecue spice
15ml (1T) origanum
15ml (1T) peppercorns, crushed
15ml (1T) Aromat
15ml (1T) paprika
125ml (¼c) barbecue sauce
125ml (¼c) sweet-chilli sauce
8 chicken full wings
500ml (2c) flour
15ml (1T) salt
60ml (4T) baking
30ml (2T) sugar
80ml melted butter
5ml (1t) vanilla essence
500ml (1c) Harvestime
boiled for 2 min and
Spicy mango chutney
500ml (1c) sugar
250ml (½c) water
6 green chillies, chopped
chopped and to serve
15ml (1T) of lemon juice
3 or 4 fresh mangoes
- Preheat the oil in a deep-frying pan or deep fryer to 190°C.
- Home-fried chicken Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix all the sauces until well combined.
- Clean the chicken wings, then toss in the seasoned flour. Doing two at a time, remove the
- chicken wings from the flour, dunk in the sauces, then once more in the flour. Repeat until all the wings are coated.
- Deep-fry until crisp and golden for 7-12 minutes. Put on an oven tray and in the oven at a low temperature to contain the heat and the crispy outside until serving time.
- Veggie waffles Heat up a waffle iron. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and in a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients. Combine and mix well to make the batter.
- Add the Harvestime Mixed Vegetables and fold into the batter. Ladle batter onto the waffle iron and cook until crisp and golden, remove and put in the oven with the chicken.
- Spicy mango chutney Boil the sugar and water in a pan with the chillies for about 1 minute
- then put aside to cool.
- Once cooled, put the coriander, lemon juice and chilli syrup in a blender with the mangoes. Blend until smooth and decant into a small bowl.
- Make a waffle bed and put the chicken on top. Drizzle the mango chutney over, as much or as little as you like. Garnish with fresh coriander and serve warm.